Monday, February 28, 2005

Weekend recap

Well, it was one heck of a weekend. I made the committment, I took the plunge, I popped the question, I asked her to marry me. And thank God she said Yes. Of course, one of the keys to asking is knowing, at least 75% of the way, that she will say yes. I have known for some time that this is the woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with. That was the easy part. She makes loving her very easy. I do, however, wonder about those guys out there who ask without knowing what the answer will be. Are they that clueless or is this like the second date and they are just really desperate? I see stories on the news sometimes, guy sets up airplane ride and carves Will You Marry Me in the wheat fields. She cries and says yes, like most stories. What about those guys who ask and get the blank look, or even worse, the get up and run away. That happened recently at a basketball game. I forget the teams, etc., but she got up and ran out of the building!!!! That is a rejection that is monumental. Didn't he have a clue as to what she might say? Or maybe it was just the setting. Some guys want to show the world how much they love thier partner. I know I do. But is she willing for the whole world to look into her life, one of the most cherished parts of her life? Maybe asking in a crowded public place is not for everyone. Which again, begs the question. Do you not know this woman at all?

Let me shed some light on how I did it. I knew for some time that she was going to be out of town for a few days. I set it up so that I could borrow a digital cam corder from someone and had it arranged so that I had quick access right after she left. After I dropped her off to head out, I went back, got the cam corder and filmed a short 10 minute movie about how much I, and my kids, loved her and wanted her to be part of our lives forever. As an aside, the kids were great. They loved the idea and participated in the whole process. It was icing on the preverbial cake. After I filmed the movie, directly onto my laptop of course (I am a computer geek after all). I downloaded a video editing program and went to work. I was able to edit together a decent, but not too polished looking, 8 minute film that said everything I wanted to say except a question that I saved until it was all over. I was even able to put in a title screen and some credits. After she sat and watched it, she turned to me and I asked her to marry me. It went exactly as I planned and hoped it would. We, of course, showed off the ring all weekend. And I am guessing that this week will be more of the same at her work and wherever she may be. And that is just OK, I like it. Now she has her "Permit". (Inside joke).

Back to my original point. I knew she would say yes, or at least I was 99% sure she would. I would never take that chance if it was a 50/50 shot. That is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. If she says no, then why keep up the relationship? A good relationship is hard work. Why put in the work if the end isn't what you BOTH want?

No comments: