Thursday, February 17, 2005
Rant
I guess this would technically count as my first rant on the blog. Being a computer geek I need to vent a bit on this topic. Those people out there who think that the knowledge they hold is so valuable that it cannot be shared. If I teach someone how to do my job then I am less valuable. However it is said, it still means the same thing. Selfish geeks who are so insecure that they hold up progress on a project or even possibly the development of a whole department. What possible gain can come of being so protective over what you know? None. First of all, what happens when you step off the curb and get hit by a bus? That knowledge is lost and has to be learned, again. If it has taken you years to get to this point then that puts whatever you are working on back that far. And with the workload of most IT staff that means lots of projects will be hurt. Sharing that knowledge doesn't lessen your value or worth to a department or company, it actually strengthens it. You become a mentor, a teacher, someone that can be sought out for advice and guideance. In our industry, the only constant is the rate of change. Sharing the knowledge that you gain helps everyone. Think about it, why is the internet so popular? Besides the porn, I mean. The sharing of knowledge. Think of all of the most popular and influential sites out there. Search sites. Technical Support sites. News sites. All sharing information so that technology can grow along with the people who use it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment