There was a comment posted yesterday about trying. I try to be a good father. You see, I am kind of a part time dad since I was divorced. I am as involved in my kid's life as I can be and still remain employed. I have not only a wonderful woman to share my life with but she has also become a huge part of my kids' lives as well. I know this for a fact because my oldest, who fortunately or not, has his father's personality, has taken to her from the first time he met her. He has never done this before. He is very laid back but very reserved with his feelings so for him to accept her so quickly and so completely is very reassuring at least for me. I think she got him when, at the very first meeting, she literally raced my oldest up the stairs and gave my youngest a piggy back ride later. We were at a local mall/gathering place and she knew how to have fun. This is missing from so many adults these days and I know that both of my kids picked up on that right away. Actually do did I. But that is another post for another day.
Parenting is very hard. Being a step-parent is even harder. My mom was a step parent and she has told me how hard it was on her so I try to imagine how hard it might be. I admire my love for the time and effort she puts in to every moment with my kids. She very easily could have just told me from the get go that she will see me only when the boys are not around. She doesn't have any kids and that would have been perfectly acceptable for her to want. For her to love me enough to want to be part of my family makes me love her that much more. I can't assume to know what her feelings are when it gets hard for her. I can only be there for her. All I can do is listen and let her know that every day is something new for all of us so feeling like things are falling down or that she is somehow failing is perfectly normal and allright. As long as we can remain best friends as well as lovers I know we can talk everything through and get over anything that might stand in the way of all of our happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment