Monday, May 09, 2005

Weekend review

Strictly from a culinary point of view, this weekend was a bit wierd. It started out fine, I stuck to it as good as I have been, but then Sunday was different. I knew it would be bad, I had plans on making a mexican dinner with all of the trimmings, including sweet corn cake. But breakfast began the day with some hot cereal then swung into lunch where I really didn't have anything due to a small mixup with a newly tiled dining room table (more on that later). By 4:30 I was really hungry and ready to get knee deep in enchiladas. But I was good and kept myself to one plate. Albeit, two tacos to go along with a heaping helping of the now infamous enchiladas. A brownie for dessert later in the evening while I was ironing and I ended up having a pretty good weekend.

Now, onto said dining room table. Lemme splain to you...no, there is no time, lemme sum up. We had taken all of the cracked tile out of an older dining room table and was prepared to replace the tiles with more colorful ones including a small assortment of some really beautifully done stenciled ones. After running to the home improvement store (hint:initials start with Lowes) we got home with our supplies. Now, as a side note here, it is always a good idea to assume that you will end up spending more than you need and taking at least some of the supplies back. Even if you take them back and swap them with other supplies that you realized you needed. Just go with that, it always happens. Ok, after getting back from Lowes we set the tiles in the table. Looking bery bery good. Turning my attention to the supplies that I bought I started reading the directions. Yes, I read the directions. I know that is a slight departure from the norm for a male but having never set tile in a table before I wanted to make sure it was done right. As I read the directions on the grout I see a word that pops up a few times and I had never heard before....MASTIC. The grout directions kept referring to the MASTIC that was to be laid down on the surface and on the back of the tiles. Wonderful, I had neglected to purchase the adhesive that the tiles needed to stick to the table. All I had was the grout that filled the cracks. Ok, on to the hardware store. No more traffic fighting for me, I was frustrated enough without commiting some crime of road rage. I get back with the MASTIC and begin the project. The tiles set wonderfully. Now, Sunday arrives and we are impatient. We can't wait the 24 hours it recommends so by noon I am mixing the grout to fill the table. About a third of the way into this we realize two things....first off, the grout is taking off the stencils that had been so painstakingly applied. Second, there is not enough grout to finish the table.

Remember the side note from above? It applies right here. I needed more grout but I had about 15 extra tiles and a tile cutter that was never opened. So off I go back to Lowes to do some exchanging. Now, by the time I get back its going on 2 in the afternoon, dinner was not started yet and we still had to finish the table and decide what to do about the dissapearing stencils. Wait, you really didn't think I would have come home with the right grout did you? No way, I got the wrong color. In my haste to make sure I had the right brand, I picked up a lighter shade of beige. After a quick meeting of the minds it was decided that we will finish the holes and cover the darker color.

Almost an hour later, the grout was in but there was only two tiles that could be saved. Point to this story? No, there really isn't one. This is just how things go when you learn about them as you go. The table turned out wonderfully. It looks great, even with the stenciled tiles not quite up to snuff. We have our options still. But I will tell you that it will look fantastic in a dining room painted the color we like with the motiff that we have decided upon.

Oh yeah, I just couldn't weigh myself this morning. I think I will go light today and then see tomorrow.

No comments: