Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Motivation

What makes people lazy? Granted, I am probably biased on this point due to the fact that I am divorced from one of the single laziest people on the planet. But I won't narrow my focus down to just my ex-wife, a lot of people I see these days are lazy. Yes, I will give examples class, please put your hands down.

How about using a turn signal once in a while? How long does that take? How much effort into putting your left hand on a lever and pushing slightly. They turn off by themselves, you know. And last time I checked MOST cars come with them.

Raising kids is another lazy area. How many adults will not discipline thier children? I hear so many excuses about "oh, I don't believe in spanking" or "it's a phase". In my opinion people are just too lazy to deal with raising thier own kids. Teachers, who are grossly underpaid and overworked, are looked upon to raise these people's kids. Of course, you have the responsibility to raise them, just don't yell, correct, or touch them. There are even leashes for kids. Leashes! What, you can't hold thier hand??????? You have to put them on a lead and drag them places? Why have the kids if you aren't going to raise them? Why? Is it for the image? The two car garage, 2.1 kids, dog, picket fence image? I have a feeling that this is why some kids' schedules are more full than some CEO's. If parents keep them busy then they don't have to raise them, everyone else can. Soccer, baseball, music class, play dates, all so you can let someone else raise them. What a shame.

And no one has manners or a shred of shivalry left. Are there any guys left out there that know what side of a lady to walk on when you are in thier company? Please? Thank you? I am talking about adults now, not thier whiny kids. I am constantly reminded of this when I go out to eat or to a store. Customer service is replaced by "when is my next break?". I make it a point to chat with the cashier and bagger (if they have them any more). Most times I have a grand time. Cutting up and joking around. Mostly at my own expense. Remember, my mantra "If you can't laugh at yourself, then you can't laugh at anyone else". But sometimes I get a look that tells me this cashier is only up for talking if you are thier replacement. I have had wait-staff take my order, bring me the food and go away for 20 minutes or until I beg for someone to please refill my water glass.

I am not going into how technology has made us fat and lazy, hell I know that. I AM fat. I think technology has helped us more than anything, I am just talking about small everyday things that we seem to have forgotten.

No comments: