Thursday, April 07, 2005

I am not catholic

Its been a while since I last visited this space. Between computer problems, site issues, work, and the kids, its tough to do any one thing every day. But anyway, enough of me whining about how busy my life is. I made it that way.

Pope John Paul II passed away since last we spoke. PJPII as he as been referred to. 25 plus years at the helm of the catholic church. Through a growth in the flock, of which I will speak later, to shame and misfortune of some priests and thier lustful ways. He was shot and forgave. He traveled. Boy did he ever travel. The most traveled Pontiff ever. Of course, the last 25 years of technology have given him and the Vatican more of an opportunity to safely travel around the world meeting with the faithful. He is truly the only Pope I have known. When he took office, I guess you can say it that way, I was a pre-teen and changing Popes wasn't high on my list of things I wanted to keep up with. I mean, MTV was still very young and actually showed music videos so I was busy.

I do happen to know a few catholics (I live in a conservative, highly German, midwestern town) and actually have a brother that converted recently. So I feel fairly confident that I can speak on this topic and the man without too much reservation.

I have many memories of seeing him on the news as he traveled and met with world leaders. They say he was a conservative Pope. I am not sure that there is a such thing as a liberal Pope, but oh well. I am not a catholic, as the title explains, but I would think that by it's very nature the role of being the catholic church's leader would be mainly conservative. Thousands of years of doctrine tend to do that to a religion. I will say that I admire PJPII. His forgiveness of Sirhan Sirhan, the man that tried to assassinate him, was huge. Yes, I know that he is supposed to do that but it was still a gesture that many cannot say that they would do. I know that the catholic church went through a rough period. Priests abusing thier power and sexually abusing altar boys. The church membership itself took a hit. Gay marriages within its membership. You have to remember that catholicism in in the top 3 largest religions in the world. Millions upon millions of followers. Mayebe Hindu or Muslim might be larger, I have no idea. Again, I am not catholic but I think PJPII's legacy will be one of compassion during many trying times globally as well as locally for him. I hope that his replacement can be as revered as PJPII. That is one large pointy hat to fill.

No comments: