Monday, March 07, 2005

Passion

This past Sunday we went to a Passion Play. For those of you not familiar with this, this is last year's film, The Passion of the Christ, only in play form that has been going on for about a hundred years. Here in my town this was first started back in 1918 by a church downtown that wanted to remember 8 parishoners that were in World War I. Ever since then, the founding church has sponsored, along with many others, the Passion Play. We know a few of the actors int he play and it is always a wonderful production. This is only my second year going and the second different church I have attended for this. This year we decided to take my oldest child. He is fairly interested in religion having grown up with it and we thought it would be ok to let him go. My youngest one is still a bit young, although there were many kids there his age and younger. I think these types of decisions are made on a child by child basis and it is entirely up to the parents to do the censoring. But that is a whole other rant and blog post. My oldest liked the play very much and is looking forward to next year's already. We'll see how my youngest is next year before I make any decisions about adding another ticket to my troupe.

The play runs about 3 hours and takes the viewer through the story or Jesus' final days. From the time in his life where he was starting to be taken seriously as a prophet and the messiah to his crucifixion and his resurrection. The actors are all volunteers and all, every man woman and child, do a terrific job of telling this story. Every Christian should see this moving production. Now I am not an overly religious person. I do believe and I have practiced. Not recently, unfortunately. My first marriage was done into a religious family. My exe's father is a retired baptist preacher, and after 10+ years of that marriage I do know the religious side of the coin. In fact, I still remain good friends with my ex-inlaws. After all, they are always going to be my kid's grandparents and they are very good people that I respect and admire. Anyway, back to my psuedo-review. The play is in two acts, with a short intermission. But the 3 hours seems like 15 mintues when you are enraptured in the story. The characters come at the stage from all angles. From the rear of the sanctuary, from the sides. The passion in this Passion Play is real. The actors are all very passionate about this story. I cannot single out one particular actor or character, that would be unfair. But suffice to say that the main characters are all portrayed with as much vigor and heart as can be done.

I look forward to next year's Passion Play. Probably more than I did this year's. Every time I see it, I am able to take away another piece of the story that I may not have learned or paid attention to previously. I can't wait.

No comments: