Friday, March 04, 2005

More insight into the inner workings of a geek.

We ordered some items from an electronics, computer, audio/video retailer whose initials are BEST BUY. First off, we went into the store and had one really bad experience. More about that later. After not getting what we wanted, at all, from the bricks and mortar side of the retailer we ordered online. Another geeky move. Anyway, we ordered our items and had them shipped two day. And we have BOTH checked on the status of the order more than once today. That screams geek and borders on pathetic. Now onto our experience in the store yesterday...

Being a geek, I know when I walk into a place like this what I want, how much I am going to pay for it, and what accessories I might need to go along with it. We proceeded to the counter where they sell phones, PDAs, etc and asked for an item. Something we had seen online and available was not offered in the store! There are some items they just don't stock. What?!?!? Why would you advertise any of the models if you don't offer them ALL in your stores. And to top it off, the guy at the counter gave us an attitude when we asked him why they sell some and not others. Something about not selling enough to keep in stock. Well, there's a shocker. They don't sell enough of the items so they don't carry it in their store. That is because they don't stock it in the store!!!!!! Hello!!!! And this is not a cheap item either, it is one of the most expensive ones they have. So, off to another department to ask about an item that we need to add to one of our computers. I waited for an associate to get freed up, which they always seem to be understaffed, but I understand why. People usually don't make thousand dollar purchases without some research and questions. So waiting is not a big deal to me. Besides, I spent most of my school years, High School and college, working retail so I know how it works. Anyway, he asks if we need any assistance and I proceed to ask about the piece that I need. He responds that they don't make anything for that model of laptop. No biggie, so I ask about an adapter that I KNOW will work and he says he knows what I mean but they don't sell them. Listen, if you carry models that can't be upgraded but need accessories, then why not carry the accessories. This is not rocket science. But wait, it gets better. I mutter something about them not carrying anything that we wanted today and he proceeds to try and answer my complaint with an attitude. Now, here is a little lesson in Retailing 101. The customer is always right. Ok? Not a hard concept to grasp. If I can't find what I want, wether it is sold there or on the moon, apologize for it and ask if there is anything else you can do. Do NOT proceed to tell me that you do not carry certain items and then argue as to why. Now, this is not me buying plumbing or electrical supplies where I am clueless. I have been in IT longer than that kid has been walking. I have forgotten more than he knows but yet he still feels the need to get in my face and tell me what I should be wanting and why. It took me over an hour to calm down after I left. I was so heated that I didn't even get his name. Normally, I love to chat with the store associates wherever I shop. The checkout lines at Kroger and Meijer are my favorites. Just ask my fiancee. I have a grand old time. I know that what I want is not going to be bleeding edge in 5 years, maybe not even 3 years, or even 1, but I want it and you don't have it. End of discussion as far as I am concerned. Pacify me, tell me you are sorry, and let me go. Thats all. I may not leave happy, but at least I am not leaving wondering how I can get you fired.

No comments: