Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter and Baseball

Good Easter Sunday to every one.

Ok, enough pleasantries. I need to rant about a certain spoiled baseball player. Yes, you all know him as Barry Bonds. That scripted little pity-fest last week was Oscar worthy. For someone who claims to be manipulated by the media, jumped off a bridge was how I believe it was put, he can sure swing a mighty pen. He knows that when he speaks that dozens or hundreds of reporters will rush his every raised eyebrow to the front page of the sports section. His son was there as a prop. Poor pitiful Barry and his family. The media ruined him. They have made him "tired". He needs half a season to recoup, maybe the whole season. Could that be how long it will take the DHT to get out of his system for a clean test? You gotta know the trainers and docs that are getting paid, err I mean treating Barry, are making sure that he is out long enough to be clean. I live in Cincinnati, I know what having a bigger than life sports figure whine (thank you Pete) and never fess up to a mistake. I saw Big Mac shoot himself at the hearings. I saw a lot of Pete's (and boy did he have a lot of them) media circuses. We have a street that runs in front of all of our stadia named after him. A local sports "commando" has named his only son Peter Edward. They chant his name at GABP. Anyway, enough about the indiscretions of a sports legend. I am convinced all he had to do was to admit and ask for forgiveness. We are a forgiving nation. We forgive all of our lost sports heros. We forgive our "entertainers" as Barry was wont to have himself called. Admit and move on. We will. But please stop playing us, the public not the media, like we are going to feel sorry for someone who has lived a pampered life. He is the son of a former major leaguer. He is the god son of one of the best to ever wear a glove. His youth was spent in the dugouts. He suffers from over exposure, that is the most serious burden he carries. His sullen attitude and his orchestration of the public statements have gotten older than Pete's ever thought about.

No comments: