Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Be careful what you wish for
I had about 500-1000 words typed in here 10 minutes ago. I hit the post button and lost everything. That tends to piss a person off. For those who don't know, I am a computer geek. Been there done that, for 15 years. I know that this happens. I know that there is nothing that can be done, under normal circumstances. Especially when I am updating a personal blog in the middle of the work day. But still....technology is a double edged sword that cuts deep. It is wonderful when it works. Just ask any patient at any hospital in North America. I benefit from it every day. I bet my career on technology, and so far I have come out a winner. I love being able to share my thoughts, whether one or ten thousand people read this, I don't care. I just like the idea of doing it. I live on my PDA. I check all 5 of my email addresses daily. Several times a day, in fact. My kids have Macs in every classroom. Thier school is wired for internet. My apartment has wireless and Bluetooth. Every coffee shop and bookstore is a hotspot. There are countless ways technology helps out in every day life. There are the perks. Cellphones that are cameras, PDAs, and even phones sometimes. Computers are in almost every device you operate. They keep people alive, they keep people safe, the keep people working. They also crash. You push that save button and the next thing you see is the BSOD (blue screen of death). Or you hit that post button and the next page you see is a Page Cannot Be Found error message. The last 10 minutes you spent typing your thoughts (that are not so easily repeated with such flowing oppulence) are gone. No way to get them back. I knew what subject I was blogging about, touching. The types of touches. It was a personal topic. One that might not have been for the kiddies. I even started off with that warning. I talked on and on about kissing, touching, massages, body language, and all of that. And when I got the error message I so wanted to repeat what I had said but the moment was gone. All I wanted to do is rant about how mad I was that my prose was ruined. Oh well...like I said. Be careful what you wish for. I started this blog because I thought it would be cool to post some thoughts out there for the world to see and read and maybe even comment on. With that knowledge, I knew deep down that there was a possibility that my posts would get lost. That when I pushed the Post button that I would get pissed off. I got the other side of the sword today instead of the one I am used to and it cuts just as deep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment