Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Not mucha nothin

Man, its early to be thinking. But I have been thinking all night long. I got that dreaded voice message last night when I got home. "This is the doctor's office, we would like you to call us, we are open late this evening...."

I called, and just as I had feared, my cholesterol has gotten worse. More specifically, my LDL is "real bad" to quote the nurse. So now it's Lipitor and more blood work to make sure the side effects aren't going to harm my liver. Of course I tell myself that its hereditary and that medicine is a good thing. Just think what it was like 30 years ago, medicine in general has come a long way. I just don't want to take advantage of medicine just yet. There is that fear of the long slippery slope of going down hill as one gets older. The problem I have is that I am not even 40 yet! The older part is not supposed to be a worry. Yeah, I have all kinds of hereditary illnesses in my family, everyone does. But I have just started a new life with the most wonderful woman in the world and I sure as hell do not want that to be cut short for any reason whatsoever. I had children at a young age so that when they got older, grown up, had kids of thier own, that I would be young enough to play with my grandkids. Besides being overweight, I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I try to exercise and lately I have changed my eating habits. Now if I were a 400 pound, smoking, drinking, lazy ass then I can blame it on lifestyle. Of course, if I was 400 pounds, a smoker, and a heavy drinker then I am pretty sure that I would be single ;-)

I watched my father decline due to a myriad of illnesses over about 15 years. He died at 48. His brother started to decline in his mid 40's. Yes, they had and have different things wrong but when history stares you in the face its kind of hard to ignore.

Of course, things could be ok and the Lipitor could work and I will be fine for the next 50 years to enjoy a wonderful life and grow old with my best friend. I think I just have to work harder now to make that happen.

No comments: