Tuesday, October 11, 2005

You really can't lick your elbow....it's impossible.

Stop trying too...stop thinking about it. You really can't do it. We are down to 12 days, not counting today, that is about half over. Not getting nervous, not yet at least. It will be interesting to see if I in fact do get nervous before hand. I am usually one that doesn't get anxious or nervous until its time. We'll see. Next weekend is a busy one so that will keep my mind off of it until the drive there on Sunday. My kids will be there so getting them ready and keeping them calm will help keep my mind occupied. Of course, chatting about it here doesn't help matters at all, so.....on to other topics.

Not too much new to talk about although I did read a "sort of" rant from a sports writer on ESPN.com. I read his articles when I can and last week he had interjected some opinions during an interview/article. His rant was on blogs in particular. He makes a really good point. There are a lot of popular blogs out there, this one NOT included, and some of them are taken as journalism by some when in fact most blogs are just opinions or diaries on OTHER events that someone has written or said something about. Someone will take the time and effort to run down facts, check and double check information, and then publish that information in a news source. Then, and I am as guilty as the next, someone on line like a blogger will rip that information to shreds. And even the author will get caught in the sights and suffer the wrath of the opinion. There are actually people out there who think that these blogs and thier bloggers are journalists or in some way are disseminating news when all it is is opinion. And the topper is that the blog is then quoted and re-quoted like it was the official news source. This is one of the products of the Internet. Remember, I am a geek, and I love the Internet. It has afforded me many conveniences over the last several years. And although I do not update this blog as often as I would like, I do like the medium. So I am not in any way condemning blogs or the media, I am just saying that we need to remember where our information comes from before we preach it as gospel. It wasn't that long ago that TV was railed against as being the idiot box that did nothing but rot our brains with useless information and opinion.

One more topic then I will close it up for the day. We attended a wedding of a friend of mine over this past weekend. It was a very nice wedding of a friend of mine that truly deserves to be happy. The reception was good. I saw a lot of people that I hadn't seen in a while and was able to sit at a table with had some good conversation. The one downside was that another friend that is getting married this coming weekend had his bachelor party the same night. Basically even the same time so I missed it. I am not upset that I missed it, it was pretty typical as far as bachelors parties go. But the common thread is that both friends are 40ish and just now getting married for the first time. I was, and still am, of the mindset that getting married, for the first time anyway, in your 20's is ok. Maybe its just me but is this a trend? 40? I know, I know, here I am pushing 40 and getting married but this is my second one so this doesn't count. Why? Because I said so, thats why! It is just interesting that both are happening so close in time together. I tend to enjoy the fact that my kids are well on thier way to being grown up. My grandkids, should I be lucky enough to have any, will have a fairly young grandpa around. And yes, an even younger grandma, I know you are younger than me! Back to my point. I will be young enough to enjoy the time with them. I will also be young enough to enjoy my retirement and the golden years without having to worry about raising a teenager. If we want to pick up and drive across country then we can. I understand that there is another opinion of waiting till you are older and more mature so you can enjoy your 20s and travel and work and save money. I understand that side and I respect it.

On the diet front...keeping steady with a few more pounds lost. I do have a doctor's appt coming up soon but no blood work on the horizon until December of this year.

No comments: