Friday, December 09, 2005

just didn't feel like it, thats why

I have had writers block...or bloggers block as the case may be. Nuttin about nuttin striking my fancy enuff to type about until last night. Yesterday we got hit with the WHITE DEATH. Yeah, snow. Almost 5 inches of the stuff. Wow. We treat it around here like the plague only we freak out about it a bit more than the plague. My typical commute, with picking up the wife, takes me about 45 minutes to an hour. 5 hours last night. That doesn't include the stop at the store. The news had the warnings/watches up for 3 days. What is wrong with that picture. This was not a freak storm. Hell, it wasn't much of a storm. It started around 2 pm and went until sometime after dark. And still it took 5 hours. I take the interstates home, no back roads. 5 hours. A major north-south interstate and our region's circle freeway. The two biggest, no the ONLY two, interstates in this region. 5 freakin hours. There were at least a dozen cars off the road. Maybe 8 or 10 tractor trailers. I understand people having to take it easy when you are riding on snow and you can't see the lines in the pavement. 5 very long hours. The fault has to lie somewhere. This was 5 inches. We measure our snow in inches where a lot of places around this country measure theirs in feet. All of the schools were closed today. No extra cirricular activities for last night or tonight. Did I mention that it took me 5 hours to get home last night? And the weathermen were actually right on this one. They knew how much and they knew when, within an hour or two, that it would start. 300 minutes. I also understand that everyone left around the same time and the salt trucks had to negotiate the same clogged roads that we did. So no one thought that getting out and laying down some salt early might help? 18000 seconds. I think I am staying home the next winter storm that blankets this little region.

No comments: