Monday, February 27, 2006

Can you spell CISSP?

Today I am going to start the countdown to my CISSP exam on March 18th. That gives me about 3 weeks of whining about how I ain't gonna pass it before the 4-6 weeks of nail biting before I get the "letter" from ISC2 formally stating that I should switch careers and start practicing the phrase "do you want fries with that".

Anyway, I have been studying for about 3 months with an increase in my reading and test taking for the last 45 days or so. I just scheduled the exam, which is the reason for this just now showing up here. I also had my laptop take a dirt nap over a week ago and I am just now getting it back the way I like it. Which, by the way, will most likely contribute to another crash eventually. This is a company provided and owned asset but I tend to personalize it with utililties, applications, etc, etc etc.

Back to the topic at hand. There are 10 domains to this test (which is a 6 hour exam) with 250 questions that require a passing score of 700 to go onto the next step. I say the next step instead of certification because just passing the test does not certify you. Only a trained psychological professional or a loved one with a power of attorney can certify you. Just kidding, after passing the test you have to have someone, a current CISSP, vouch for you. Then yearly, you have to pay dues and continue the education of security. This is all spelled out on the official ISC2 website...www.isc2.org.

Right now, the application dev and cryptology domains are my weakest. App dev for the reason that I just am NOT a developer. The cryptology section more for the terminology that I am unfamiliar with but learning quickly. The test itself is not the normal cert exam that I am used to (I am an MCSE). This is theory and abstraction. CISSP is security as a whole not Cisco, Microsoft, Linux, or any other vendor specific security. It deals with history from the Orange book to ActiveX. From the 7 layers of the OSI model to physical data center design. I have purchased several books and taken countless practice tests. Suffice to say that right now I am cruising at about an 82-85 percent success rate. I will feel confident when I am at 90.

More to come.....

No comments: